Tuesday, April 1, 2014

My First Care Package - Valentine's Day

The day my husband left I was pretty upset, so I decided I would go ahead and get started on his first care package.  My husband is on a base a good amount of his deployment. He does go for about a month at a time on missions, where he doesn't have access to a base, but for the most part he doesn't "need" anything. The care packages are more for fun and to let him get a little something from home in the mail.

For this care package I actually used wrapping paper and scrap booking paper. The wrapping paper is the shinier red paper with the uniform hearts. The scrap booking paper is the multi-colored/shaped hearts. I wanted to try two different methods to see what I like better. Going forward, I have continued to use scrap booking paper exclusively just because there are more options to pick from and it doesn't rip as easily.
 

I used the typical Pinterest idea and put a little cheesy tag on a bunch of items I was sending him.

  My husband really likes airheads, so I found a set of Valentine's that included airheads. I wrote a little message on each one. Each message was something I love about him, or miss about him, etc.

 I also like to include a hand written note, card, or something along those lines. Even though we do communicate on a pretty regular basis, I think it is something sweet to always include especially since it is handwritten.


As you can see, I like to include personal pictures on the flaps of the box. I think it's a fun way to send pictures to him. I am pretty sure that this box sat for two weeks waiting for him while he was on a mission, so I try not to ever pack anything home baked just because I know his schedule varies and I don't want him to open his package to find gross cookies or something.

NOTE: You can order bundles of the flat rate boxes (they cost about $14/$15 to ship) for care packages through the USPS website. They are FREE and are also delivered to your home FREE.  In my opinion, I will do just about anything to avoid the post office! I also like to have my customs form filled out before going to the post office to save time, so each time I go to mail a box I normally pick up 2 or 3 blank forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment