Thursday, April 24, 2014

My "Marine Wife" Experience


Mal Smiles 





I thought this would be a fun link up that Mal Smiles and The Samantha Show created since I'm a relatively new military wife, and I'm starting to hear some of the stereotypes more and more. Anyways, I'm Morgan, and I have been a "Marine wife" for almost 7 months. However, I started dating my husband as a high school senior. Even back then he told me he would be joining the Marines and I shrugged it off because I didn't think it would ever really impact me. Well,  I was wrong. Here I am nearly 7  years later and we are married.

He did ROTC at Texas A&M University, where I also went to school, and then commissioned as a 2nd Lt. in May 2012. After that, he went to TBS (The Basic School) and IOC ( Infantry Officer's Course) in Quantico, VA. We got married just before we moved to Jacksonville, NC.

Corps of Cadets days:

After his commissioning:

The one thing I wish people knew about military spouses is that we are really just like everyone else. Many of us don't let our husband's job or rank define who we are. Before my husband deployed, the military didn't really impact my day to day life. Now it does in the sense that my husband is overseas, but that's really the extent of it. We also don't all have kids young. My husband and I are waiting for another few years to enjoy married life before we decide to start a family, but it really annoys me when (even other military couples do this) everyone assumes we will want to start a family ASAP. Granted, being in a town with tons of babies does bring on the baby fever, but we both agree it is best to wait. Plus, I haven't figured out how I can keep my job working full time and be a mother. Until then, I want to enjoy my husband and travel/explore the East coast as much as possible after he returns from deployment!


Have a Happy Thursday!


 

2 comments:

  1. How do you like living in Jackson? I feel ya on the baby comments...my mom crocheted baby blankets for me 10 years ago and I still don't need them! Having too much fun enjoying the DINK life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacksonville is okay! I like it because it isn't as expensive to live here as it is at some other duty stations. That's too funny.. we are love the DINK life too! It's nice to be a little selfish and enjoy each other on nice dates/traveling/etc, because once kids come that will all change.

      Delete